The objective of INFRADEV is to enhance the capacity of developing country governments and development agencies to mobilize private sector investment and resources for infrastructure projects. A critical focus is leveraging limited official sector finance by mobilizing long-term cost-effective private capital through risk mitigation and improving the availability of project development assistance. See the World Economic Forum Report directed by the Executive Director of the Global Clearinghouse: Building on the Monterrey Consensus: The Untapped Potential of Development Finance Institutions to Catalyse Private Investment.
INFRADEV provides independent catalytic web-based communication mechanisms that enable cost-effective collaboration between public and private sector practitioners in sharing best-practices and proposals, as well as specific products, services, and structures that can be utilized to develop and finance infrastructure projects. Two specific INFRADEV communication platforms enhance the capacity of developing countries and development agencies to mobilize private sector capital:
“INFRADEV Info-Exchange” is an open website that provides the public information and results generated by the INFRADEV Leaders Network (see below). Easy access to information improves the capacity of government officials, development agencies, and the private sector to identify infrastructure needs and needed services for developing and financing projects. Key INFRADEV Directories on infrastructure enabling-information include:
- DEMAND FOR INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS: Information on developing country Infrastructure and PPP Programs;
- SUPPLY OF RISK MITIGATION & PROJECT DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE: Information on Risk Mitigation Products and Project Development Assistance Services;
- LEADING-EDGE TRANSACTIONS DEMONSTRATING THE USE OF RISK MITIGATION: Information on selected successful transactions illustrating how risk mitigation can be used to achieve better access to private capital for infrastructure projects;
- INFORMATION RESOURCES: Basics on key financial instruments; types of risks; past trends by region and sector; prior transactions in infrastructure finance; toolkits & best practices; etc; and
- CONTACT INFO: Detailed contact info for service providers and infrastructure programs.
A free “Alert Service” is available for automatic updates on new content added to the above INFRADEV Directories.
INFRADEV Leaders Network is an independent catalytic intranet-based network for infrastructure practitioners from the public and private sectors aimed at increasing their capacity to collaborate and be effective in increasing the volume of completed infrastructure transactions. Members can use the Network to share information on their infrastructure needs, products, and services. Updated information is also automatically posted on the public site, INFRADEV Info-Exchange, enabling Members to provide enabling information to investors, development agencies, and governments worldwide.
Members are also asked to exchange their personal views and proposals on the Network; ask questions on infrastructure programs, products and services; and participate in the Member Forum with suggestions on how to advance overall approaches to infrastructure finance. Examples of specific critical areas for expert exchange are how to advance progress in mitigating regulatory and currency risks, and advance access to finance for subsovereign and renewable energy projects. These practitioner exchanges increase the capacity of individual INFRADEV Members to be effective and produce results.